After much prototyping and rejigging, here are the first two light designs.
Having had them around for a few weeks now, I’ve decided that I’m going to find an alternative way to make illuminated letters. I’ve tried different ways to give it the support it needs but it inevitably sags and it’s way to complicated to build.
The mushroom, on the other hand, is a lovely thing. I’ve rejigged it so that it’s huge, much bigger than in the photos.
The outer bodies of the lights are made from two layers of 300gsm card, bonded with Mod Podge, which is also the medium used to bond layers of translucent paper to make the “windows”. In this case, I’ve used mulberry paper but you can use anything which will let the light pass through.
Inside each light is another card structure, onto which the lights are securely fixed. There are no electrical tools or knowledge required, and once complete, the lights change colour by remote control.
The “light” parts for the project can be bought for under £10.